Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Think globally...you know the rest.

It's a blustery day here in lovely Anoka, MN. Thankfully, we are safely ensconced in our office, too firmly rooted to blow away, but we fear for our packages and the good people who carry them!

So, what's going on at Whirled Peas HQ? Gently Spoken recently joined the cause of the 3/50 Project, which has gotten me thinking about my spending habits. Isn't it worth it to support independent retailers, even if it mean spending a bit more?

Yesterday, I visited a certain big box store to pick up some random essentials and came armed with my own tote bag to carry them away in. Not only was the clerk baffled by my tote, he couldn't be bothered to put anything in it. Apparently, if you bring your bag, you pack your own purchases.

I can't help but compare this to my experience a few weeks ago at the local co-op. The staff was friendly and helpful and didn't seem inconvenienced by my desire to purchase their goods. I left thinking, "Wow, they're so nice. Why don't I go in there more?"

Well, why don't I? It's not out of the way, the prices are reasonable considering everything is organic, and the service is great. That's not to say that all independent retailers are an oasis of superb service, but they usually have to put more effort into making and keeping their customers, and that dedication shows.

The 3/50 Project encourages consumers to spend $50 each month in three independently owned businesses. I easily spent $50 in the big box yesterday and didn't come out very satisfied. Now, to be fair, I've had plenty of perfectly satisfactory experiences in large chains, but considering what a boon it can be to the local economy to spend more money at the independents, I have to be a little more deliberate about where I shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment